Building Permits / Inspections

You can now apply for a building permit online!

Apply Now Opens in new window


Building Permits are required for the following types of projects: Remodel of a home, decks, larger windows, sheds, garages, electrical work, plumbing work, HVAC work, pools, and siding.  

Pool permits are needed for any type of pool that is over 30 inches in height, measured from the pool floor to the top of the pool, regardless of the depth of the water and regardless of whether said pool is of a permanent or temporary nature.  A 5 foot fence is also required around the pool.

Building Inspector - General Engineering

Starting Monday, July 26, 2021, the City of Milton began contracting with General Engineering Company for residential and commercial building inspection services.  We are excited to welcome Building Inspector Dave Geraths to Milton.

Email Dave Geraths completed building permit applications or drop them off  at City Hall, 710 S Janesville Street. Inspections may be scheduled on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  

If you have questions about building permits, Dave is available Monday-Friday by calling (608) 697-7776.